Tuesday 24 February 2009

Solitude on Singletrack (saves our souls)

Had a humdinger of a hot day yesterday, probably at least 30 degrees. There was no wind (very unusual for Cape Town), so I decided to go for an exploratory ride on Constantiaberg.

A few weeks ago, I spotted a possible singletrack trail waaay up high on an east facing slope. Well, it looked like a slope on Google Earth! I eventually found it after a bit of 'hike-ling' and boy was it cool! Beautiful, contour path, quite technical in sections but generally quite smooth.

The awesome part was that it was really exposed- a big steep drop to the right, that got my nerves up enough to get off the bike on the really narrow sections. It's obviously not walked on much and probably never biked on and needs a bit of clearing but it would be a fantastic bike trail to extend the riding in the area. I was the only one up there with a solitary African Goshawk flying in front of me through the forested section and the baboons frequent the area judging by the interspersed "dig" holes in the trail.

Before cruising down to the "milkshake highway" I just stood up there, enjoying the view across False bay and taking in the sheer solitude of it all-Cape Town is quiet when there is no wind around!

Now I must just to find out if it's legal to ride (there were no signs telling me otherwise) and if I can include it on on our Tokai Tour somehow.
D