Monday 27 July 2009

Observations and thoughts

Lately, I have been thinking. Most would suggest that this was not a wise move in the first place, but I was never famous for taking sensible advice, and I had little else to do after contracting the now infamous Swine Flu (it didn't live up to the hype by any means, by the way), so there you have it!
As well as thinking, mind you, I have also been observing.

Firstly, I observed Dan's stories and pics (below) of the trails he's finding and riding.

Then, I observed South Africa's Greg Minnaar (current leader) have an absolutely dismal weekend at Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada World Cup DH round number 5. He punctured in the qualification, and then crashed in the final (hard enough to lose a glove!) and ended up 22nd. With Sam Hill successfully managing to close the gap by taking 1st, and Peaty taking 2nd, the World Cup is wide open with two rounds to go and just over 200 points seperating the top four riders! All-in-all, not great for Greg, but definitely great for the sport. I'm not a nail-biter, but if I was I'd be shopping for prosthetics already.

Most often over-looked because of Greg's successess, let's not forget Andrew Neethling who is currently ranked 11th overall!

I also observed the fact that South Africa's Burry Stander is currently coming a more-than-respectable 3rd in the World Cup XC competition - I shall be removing my blinkers and following this more closely from now on!

So that's where I started thinking. It goes without saying that South African's are well on the map when it comes to the racing scene, but isn't it time that you - the people that really make the sport of mounatin biking what it is - experience the land and the trails where the pedegrees of our world-class riders were born? Of course it is!

The great thing now, is that it really is as easy as booking the flight and sticking your bike in a bag and arriving in beautifull Cape Town, as we can take care of the rest for you!

Okay, that's it, smoke coming out the ears has activated the fire alarm, enough thinking for one day, I'm going to go back to my Tom Waits and blueberries now. Maybe even do some work, who knows.

Cheers
Harry